A forum for any Z enthusiast! Young or old. This is a place for those who have questions and need help or Z enthusiasts that just wanna hang out and share stories of their Z's

HomePortalGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

So the b*tch and I got into a catfight the other day... (rant)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Z_trbl_mkr
Admin

Number of posts : 654
Car Year/Make/Model : '90 Nissan 300ZX N/A
Registration date : 2008-07-01

PostSubject: So the b*tch and I got into a catfight the other day... (rant)   Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:01 pm

Apparently she's jealous of the new girl I brought home the other day. With all the attention falling on the 48 my Fairlady has gone into bitch mode.

Friday I leave work to come out to a quart and a half of oil sitting under her. Take her to the shop and find out that the secondary oil fiter's gasket blew witch sent oil all over the front of my Z. Yes, there is a secondary oil filter, don't ask.. the previous owner installed it and I never got around to taking it off. Didn't think it would cause any problems.

Anyhow so I fix this and take out the secondary system. Now I think I have a lifter tick. After talking with a couple Z people we narrow it down to checking the VTC first before anything else.

Now, yesterday with my Z being a daily driver I have to drive to Dundalk, MD (2 hour drive) to help a fellow auto enthusiast out with painting their car. I get as far as Shrewsberry (1 hour in). The Z starts to shimmy and tick like a mofo. I pull off to check out the car. Ticking still in the front passenger side under the timing cover. So I turn around and head back home (aka the shop). Still has the shimmy anywhere from 55-70MPH.

Get to the shop and park the Z while cussing her the whole time. I think I now realize why you guys always call our cars temperamental bitches.

So today after work I get to go to the shop and start tearing her down to see what her issue is.

I'm def thinking the ticking is the VTC and the reason for the shimmy is a dead miss.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!?!?!?

Okay I'm done.

Any thoughts on what else it could be would be helpful. Even if it is to confirm what I think it is.

~Christina

Blacktwin

Number of posts : 403

PostSubject: Re: So the b*tch and I got into a catfight the other day... (rant)   Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:03 am

bring in the jello and the kiddie pool!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cherryz

Number of posts : 677
Registration date : 2008-07-02

PostSubject: Re: So the b*tch and I got into a catfight the other day... (rant)   Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:04 am

So the shimmy is only 55-70? If it's not at idle or 2K RPM, it doesn't sound like a misfire.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://slvander.home.mindspring.com/Z32/
Tony@GZ
Mod

Number of posts : 186
Car Year/Make/Model : 1995 Nissan 300ZX TT
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: So the b*tch and I got into a catfight the other day... (rant)   Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:24 pm

I am not exactly sure how this problem is only effecting you between 55 and 70 I would foresee this problem being more consistent and effecting you more between RPM's in power band on acceleration vise RPM's at cursing speed. However this sounds more like you are experiencing the VTC problem that has been common with the use of High Lift camshafts. Donít know if the person who had the Z before you hade the problem with soft Valves and poor head geometry that is rumerd to exzist in the 90 NA heads. If it did I wonder if they decided to upgrade and went with new heads and high lift cams?
If you missed the conversation between Ash and DVDBurn over on TT.net here is part of it
http://www.twinturbo.net/net/viewmsg.aspx?forum=general&msg_id=2199414&forum=general&dtSearch=1
In-between all of there bickering it gives you a rather good inside look at operation and and falure of the VTC. I know in one of Ash's posts he talks about holding a socket extension to the cover on the VTC gear to fell vibration and "kick". In the event that you need a set of gears to test to see if your have kicked the bucket pleas let me know I have a set you may barrow if you need.
Let me know if you find out anything else and I hope that what I have provided helps some.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.gz-performance.com
Z_trbl_mkr
Admin

Number of posts : 654
Car Year/Make/Model : '90 Nissan 300ZX N/A

PostSubject: Re: So the b*tch and I got into a catfight the other day... (rant)   Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:14 am

I was actually thinking of replacing the intake cam gears with the JUN Adjustable Intake Cam Gears which eliminates the VTC all together.

Tony@GZ
Mod

Number of posts : 186
Car Year/Make/Model : 1995 Nissan 300ZX TT
Registration date : 2008-07-24

PostSubject: Re: So the b*tch and I got into a catfight the other day... (rant)   Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:44 am

That would do the trick if the VTC was to blame. I did see a set of both the intake and exhaust gears on e-bay new in box but I cant recall what the buy it now was off the top of my head. I know that there is an adapter to make them fit the older stile intake camshaft in the event that yours are still stock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.gz-performance.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So the b*tch and I got into a catfight the other day... (rant)   

Back to top Go down

So the b*tch and I got into a catfight the other day... (rant)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Zenthusiast.net :: General Topics :: General Z Discussion-
Jump to: